News

Heavy fines to regularise buildings

The civic standing committee on Monday approved a proposal to impose heavy fines to regularise illegal constructions as per the Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning (MRTP) Act, 1966.

PUNE: The civic standing committee on Monday approved a proposal to impose heavy fines to regularise illegal constructions as per the Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning (MRTP) Act, 1966.

To regularise one illegal residential tenement which is in use without completion certificate, the owners will have to pay annual charge of 5 per cent of the total cost of the construction according to the ready reckoner rate. For regularising more then one residential tenement and commercial construction, the change will be 20 per cent. For residential construction, done without permission, the changes will be 25 per cent and for commercial construction, it will be 50 per cent.

“The standing committee also decided that the old structures in the city which are not regularised could be regularised now by paying 5 per cent of the total cost of the construction according to the ready reckoner rate or Rs 10,000, whichever is higher,” said standing committee chairman Arvind Shinde speaking to reporters following the meeting.

Municipal commissioner Mahesh Zagade had announced new ‘stringent’ norms to curb illegal constructions in the city and review and revision of the building construction department’s existing circulars which ‘encourage’ illegal construction anticipating regularisation.

The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has noted that various builders and developers start construction without seeking various PMC permissions and then later apply to regularise the construction using the provisions in the MRTP Act, which allows regularisation of such constructions, after paying a fine. Considering the frequent use of this provision, the civic body wanted to increase the fine amount so that such constructions do not take place.

On October 15, the civic administration had decided to decentralise the building control and development plan approval. Zagade had divided city engineer Prashant Waghmare’s powers to grant building permissions and execute the development plan of the city. He had entrusted the charge of executing the city’s development plan, granting building permissions, utilisation of TDR, curbing illegal constructions to additional city engineer Vivek Kharvadkar

Comments are closed.